Some Similac brand baby food recalled over contamination fear
A brand of baby formula was recalled today amid fears over contamination with salmonella.
Food distributor BGA has asked consumers who bought Similac Pro-Sensitive and Pro-Advance plastic containers of baby food to return them.
The affected products were made by Abbott Nutrition at its plant in Sturgis, Michigan.
The move came after four customers in the US made complaints about Cronobacter sakazakii, or Salmonella Newport, in infants who had consumed the powdered baby food.
A department of health spokeswoman said: “Please do not feed infants recalled powdered formula. Throw it away or return it for a refund.“
She added: “BGA confirms that following product research, only two items of the Similac line ... were identified as being affected by the recall for Bermuda.
“An investigation is ongoing, and as of today no distributed product has tested positive for either bacterium.”
To check if a Similac product is affected by the recall, consumers should check the codes on the bottom of containers.
Affected product numbers have the first two digits, 22 to 37, contain K8, SH or Z2 and will have an expiry date of April 2022 or after.
For retailers, the BGA stock numbers are 010 373 10, UPC 00 70074 68091 Pro-Sensitive and 010 373 17, UPC 00 70074 68089 Pro-Advanced.
This can also be verified by visiting www.similacrecall.com.
The affected products are in plastic containers only, not metal tins.
BGA said any affected containers should be returned to the store it was bought from for a credit, to be underwritten by BGA.
The health spokeswoman added that businesses with potentially affected stock they wanted to return to BGA, they should speak to the company’s sales representative or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service