End to End celebrates anniversary by donating $35,000 to 35 charities
Bermuda’s helping agencies received special recognition on Friday night as the 35th annual Convex End-to-End draws near.
To mark the 35th anniversary of the charitable event, 35 charities received $1,000 each towards their causes.
The year’s top giving event will dominate the island’s roads from Saturday morning, as thousands head west to Dockyard from the End-to-End’s three starting points.
It began with a fitness challenge between a group of friends in 1987, End-to-End chairwoman Anne Mello told charity representatives at a reception held in Convex’s offices at Point House in Hamilton.
“Registration is open and we’re ready to go,” she said, highlighting some of the End-to-End’s adventures over the years as it grew steadily and experimented with different challenges.
“Many things went very well – but there are also many funny things that happened along the way.”
Organisers decided against the swim from Spanish Point to Dockyard, while one year’s kayaking fixture was dropped after participants succumbed to seasickness.
A “monsoon” drenched the 2016 End-to-End, Ms Mello said – but “we didn’t get one complaint”.
“As we celebrate 35 years, lots went wrong but lots went right.
“It’s wonderful to have a day of exposure to the Railway Trail, of bringing friends, family and colleagues together, but even more, giving support to Bermuda’s charities is the engine that keeps us going.
“It’s the core value of this organisation – and that’s why we have been so successful.”
The three charities supported for 2022 will be the Inter-Agency Committee for Children, Families and the Community; Transitional Community Services; and the Bermuda National Trust.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service