Jones bids for Open repeat
Bermuda pro golfer Nick Jones is confident of successfully defending his Daytona Beach Open title this weekend when he tees off in Florida tomorrow.
Jones won his first professional tournament last year at the same event, overcoming a one-shot deficit to overhaul Doug Hurson on the first day of the competition.
The youngster was delighted with his triumph last time around and has backed himself to produce the goods again, while noting his preparations have been similar to last year.
He’s been working on his short game as he attempts to retain his title.
“I’ve been working hard and concentrating on my swing for the future, not just these tournaments but also bigger and better things as I progress with my game,” said Jones this week.
“My confidence is high right now, there are a couple of things that I have changed in my game that I now need to implement on the course but I am confident that I can win the tournament again.
“I just need to concentrate on my full game and not what I am doing wrong with a specific thing because once you’re on the course it is only you and you need to have the willpower to not let the little things get you down and focus on the bigger picture.”
The two-day event tees off tomorrow with Jones embracing the chance to put his name on the Open title for the second year running.
In preparation for the event, he has played on the Moonlight tour in order to fine tune his overall game as well as prepare himself for the upcoming European Tour qualifying rounds in two weeks’ time.
Winning the Open would be the perfect build-up for Jones before he travels across the pond to continue his quest for a tour card.
“I’ve played on a few Moonlight tournaments in the last month or so, so I’ve been active just not really getting into anything serious,” he said.
“I’m defending my title this weekend and I’m looking to win that again as well as a European Tour qualification event in the near future so it’s time for me to get ready and focus on my game.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service