Mixed Championships postponed due to poor numbers
This month’s Bermuda Amateur Mixed Championships has been called off because of low numbers.
The Bermuda Golf Association extended the deadline to Monday and warned members that the tournament would be postponed if a minimum of 10 teams did not sign up. In the end that number was not reached and the decision made to postpone the event until later in the year.
The event was scheduled for April 13, 14 at Tucker’s Point with defending champions Nick Mansell and Elizabeth Parsons signed up and ready to defend their title.
“Being a mixed tournament we’re thinking the timing of it is not the best at this time,” said Mansell who is also the president of the Bermuda Golf Association and who is trying to figure out the reason for the low numbers. The entry fee was $250 per team.
“It’s probably a whole bunch of little things that add up to it,” Mansell. “It’s right around the Easter break so a lot of people are travelling. We’re trying to find out exactly what it is, some people are just cutting down on their leisure activities because of the recession, some are just being choosy as to what tournaments they play in.
“At this time of the year there are a lot of club events, we had a comment from one person saying there are two other events they can play in on the same weekend. It is disappointing, but as long as people are playing golf in club events we are pretty happy with that.”
The BGA haven’t given up playing the event this year and may consider trying to attract overseas players to boost the numbers.
“Tucker’s is a wonderful venue for it, now for us it’s just a matter of checking back and forth with them to see when is a good date for them and then poll our membership to see what date they would like to play,” said the president.
“We will probably market it more to overseas people as well, to try to bring some overseas people in and that may encourage more of our locals to play as well. We certainly haven’t given up on the event.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service