Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Door not closed on tour return for Sims

Regaining a tour card may be one of the furthest things from Michael Sims's mind at present, but not something he has ruled out completely.

After carding a two-under-par 68 during yesterday's penultimate round of the Gosling's Invitational at Belmont Hills, the Bermudian professional refused to shut the door on trying to regain his playing status on a major tour.

Sims is tied for tenth on one-under for the tournament, alongside Dwayne Pearman and Andrew Turner.

“You can never say never and I don't rule out anything,” Sims said. “Right now it's day to day and I don't do anything more than that.”

Sims lost his tour card after bowing out of the second stage of Q-School at the Plantation Golf Club in Florida in late 2013, and his career has remained virtually dormant since.

“I did it for a long time and when I lost my status I woke up and didn't want to put in the time,” he said. “And if you don't want to do that, then you should not be doing it, because it's a high level that takes a lot of work and time and travelling every week wears on you.

“I don't wake up and think about golf, or go to bed thinking about golf. Frankie Robain told me a long time ago you have to eat, sleep and drink golf, and that's just not me right now.

“I have no plans with golf right now. I'm just enjoying time with my family and friends and that's kind of where I stand.”

Sims, who has pocketed $214,499 in career earnings so far, turned professional in 2002 and four years later earned a full year's exemption on the Nationwide Tour, second only to the PGA Tour.

However, he lost that privilege in 2007, and up until losing his tour card altogether had enjoyed partial exemption to the Web.com Tour, the successor to the Nationwide Tour, while playing on smaller circuits such as the e-Golf Tour.

In 2012, Sims fired himself into the history books with a stunning round of 59 at the e-Golf Tour's Southern Open in Salisbury, North Carolina, breaking a magical barrier that fewer than 20 golfers have broken since Tour tournaments began.

For the past several days Sims has been “having some fun” mixing it up with local and overseas at Belmont Hills.

“It's been very fun,” Sims said. “It's been mostly relaxing but you still get those odd glimpses of good stuff. I'm just trying to hit shots and walk around the park.”

Keeping his options open: Sims has not ruled out returning to a professional tour, but at the moment he's just enjoying playing golf with his friends (Photograph by Akil Simmons)

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 03, 2015 at 8:00 am (Updated December 02, 2015 at 10:46 pm)

Door not closed on tour return for Sims

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon