Camiko Smith and Daniel Augustus shine in Black History Month Classic
Camiko Smith and Daniel Augustus produced solid rounds to place themselves in the hunt at the Advocates Professional Golf Association Tour Black History Month Classic at Indian Canyon Golf Resort in Palm Springs, California, on Monday.
Smith is in a two-way tie for fourth and compatriot Augustus among four players tied for tenth in a field of 47 at the midway stage of the 36-hole event.
Smith shot a sizzling opening round of 67, which included seven birdies and two bogeys. He was two under at the turn and fared even better coming in on the back nine, which he played at three under without surrendering a single shot to the course.
The 37-year-old trails co-leaders Kevin Hall and Quinn Riley, who shot identical rounds of 65, by two shots with Ronald Scott (66) in third a shot off the lead.
Augustus finished just four shots off the lead after carding an impressive three-under 69, which included six birdies and three bogeys.
The local pair will now look to make further inroads in their attempt to grab a share of the $25,000 in prize money on offer.
Smith is making his second appearance on the APGA Tour in five months after competinf in the inaugural Butterfield Bermuda APGA Championship at Port Royal Golf Course last October, where he finished 18th among the field of 21.
Augustus is making his second appearance of the year and finished in a tie for ninth on his debut at the APGA Farmers Insurance Invitational at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego, California, last month.
The 35-year-old enjoyed success on the Tour last season after finishing sixth on the Lexus Cup points list with four top-five finishes, including second at the APGA Scottsdale and tied for second at the APGA Mastercard Tour Championship.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service