Male trio make history
Male gymnasts represented Bermuda for the first time over the weekend in the 11th annual Ocean State Classic in Rhode Island, United States.
The Island’s first-ever male team returned home with some outstanding results, highlighted with Taj Lowery’s third place in the all-round competition.
The team included Lowery, Max Blakeney and Nyan Outerbridge.
Lowery won the pommel horse and vaulting and finished third in the all-around competition while Blakeney finished second on pommel horse, vaulting, high bar and was fourth in the all-around.
Outerbridge finished fourth on parallel bars and 11th all-around.
Head coach Duke Nelligan said he was pleased with how the boys got on in their first international event.
“These boys trained extremely hard in preparation for their first ever competition and faced competitors who routinely compete and train many more hours than our youngsters,” said Nelligan. “I was very proud to be their coach and enjoyed their success as were several parent and grandparents.
“ The routines were similar but each boy showed different flexibility and strength. The length of the competition, 67 athletes in five different levels, the fact the boys didn’t know what to expect and trying to control their enthusiasm for almost four hours was a challenge.
“The whole experience for all of us was one of great pride and anticipation fof our next challenge.
“This is the beginning of a great future for Bermuda’s young boys and Bermuda Gymnastics Association’s (BGA) preparation for the upcoming Island Games.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service