BHB cuts three posts — but aims to transfer affected staff
Bermuda Hospitals Board has admitted trimming three positions from its workforce — but a spokeswoman said the BHB does “all it can” to transfer staff to other jobs.
The remarks came after Shadow Health Minister Zane DeSilva told MPs he'd been contacted by hospital employees who said they'd been presented with “ultimatums” to accept a redundancy package, or take an almost 20 percent cut in wages.
Mr DeSilva called on Government to explain the cuts, but Health Minister Patricia Gordon-Pamplin said she'd been unaware of them — and that it was up to the BHB to respond.
Last night, the spokeswoman said that the three positions had been eliminated between April 1 and September 30.
“As part of prudent management of the BHB workforce, and to ensure an efficient operation within the BHB fiscal constraints, a position can become redundant if it is no longer required for the running of a safe, quality healthcare service,” she said.
“When this occurs, BHB works with the unions and staff members through an official and fair process, in compliance with its Collective Bargaining Agreements.
“BHB will do all it can to redeploy staff where opportunities exist. Wherever possible, staff are offered suitable alternative employment in roles that are similar and paid the same.”
However, she added: “If there are no similar roles available, as an alternative to redundancy, staff are still offered other redeployment opportunities in roles that may not have the same terms and conditions as their current role. This is discussed with each individual, who is then able to decide how he or she would like to proceed.”
The spokeswoman added that the three affected workers were “currently deciding on redeployment opportunities”.
BHB's financial tribulations became public over the summer, after board chairman Jonathan Brewin said it faced “a serious shortfall of cash over the coming five years”.
The organisation is the Island's second-largest employer, with more than 1,800 workers.