Covid-19: curfew for two more weeks, one new case recorded
The Covid-19 curfew will be extended for another two weeks, the Premier announced yesterday.
The midnight to 5am curfew will remain in force until February 2 at least.
But David Burt said other restrictions will be relaxed from tomorrow.
The changes to health restrictions agreed by Cabinet to go into effect at 6am today.
Mr Burt said indoor bars and nightclubs would be allowed to reopen but would not be allowed to have bar service.
Service will be restricted to customers at tables with a maximum of six people at any one table.
Gatherings will be allowed to increase from 10 to 25 people and outdoor funerals will go up from 20 people to 25.
But no large group exemptions will be considered.
Mr Burt said the Cabinet would review the curfew at the start of next month.
He was speaking as the island recorded one new coronavirus case.
The infection was among 657 tests that came back to the health ministry.
The new case was found in a resident who returned to the island on the American Airlines flight from Miami last Sunday.
There are 67 active cases, with six in hospital and none in critical care.
Bermuda has recorded a total of 684 cases of the coronavirus.
There have been 472 on-island transmissions and 195 cases that came in from overseas.
A total of 392 cases were listed as on-island transmissions with a known contact, 80 were on-island transmissions with an unknown contact and 17 are under investigation.
The seven-day average of the real time reproduction number is 0.35 and Bermuda’s country status remained at “clusters of cases”.
Kim Wilson, the health minister, said the Government was determined to make sure “we do not waste a single dose” of the Pfizer vaccine from the UK, which must be used inside of five days of leaving a deep freeze.
Ms Wilson added: “We are seeking to drastically increase the number of vaccines daily.”
She said there had been cases where people had missed vaccination appointments and their injections had to be offered to others.
She added: “We have a list of persons who can get up there as quickly as possible.
“Doctors will indicate persons that may have medical vulnerabilities that may not be in phase one or two.”
Mr Burt asked people who are not yet eligible for the vaccination to hold off on registering to avoid overwhelming the system.
He said that statistics on those vaccinated and their occupations would be made available at a later date.
But he said: “There are just not the resources to do that without taking people off the vaccination programme.”
Ms Wilson added that people were asked to state their race as part of the registration process so that officials could target those who may be reluctant to get the vaccine.
Mr Burt said there was “vaccine hesitancy” in the Black population.
But he appealed to people to listen to professionals and to speak to their doctors.
The Government said it planned to move to the next phase of vaccination – which included people aged over 50 – as soon as possible.
Visitors will get a new type of colour-coded Covid-19 wristband from Monday.
New arrivals will get a red one, orange on Day 4 and yellow on Day 8.