SailGP working on Covid safe plan with Government
The organisers of a “cutting edge” sailing race said they were working closely with the Government to set up a “comprehensive Covid-safe plan” for the event.
A race spokeswoman added: “SailGP's priorities are to keep staff, athletes, and members of the public safe at all times.
“Plans have been made in consultation with the Bermuda Government and leading experts, including medical professionals, risk advisers and other major sports events.
“SailGP's Covid-safe plan includes reducing the number of people at events, creating and living in designated bubble environments, the reduction of hospitality, spectator and media services and regular testing.”
She said: “All ticketed options will be operated in line with the traveller guidance and based on government regulations.
“SailGP will have strict protocols in place to screen guests and ensure government guidelines are adhered to on-site.”
The Bermuda Government has capped the number of people for group gatherings at 25.
The spokeswoman added: “SailGP is adhering to the government guidelines and will have limited capacity and social distancing measures in place across all ticketed options.
“SailGP has partnered with Island Tour Centre for the on-water ticketed programme and will have a maximum capacity in line with the government regulations.“
The spokeswoman said that details for waterfront ticketing have yet to be released.
She added that SailGP was monitoring the situation on the island and awaited approval from the Government as to if and how it can safely proceed.
The first race of the SailGP season two series is scheduled for April 24 and 25 at Cross Island, Dockyard.
David Burt said at the Covid-19 briefing on Tuesday that some had questioned why domestic football would not make a return, but international events would go ahead.
The Premier added: “I want to be clear on this, and reiterate again, the Government gave permission for football to restart and agreed with the Bermuda Football Association a strategy for how they can do so safely.
“Sadly, the local clubs have made the decision not to continue the season.”
Mr Burt added: “Any events which are safely able to take place will hopefully benefit our economy and our local organisations.
“Earlier this month, the Government presented grants to three historically black sailing clubs, East End Mini Yacht Club, West End Sailboat Club, and the Mid-Atlantic Boat Club to assist them with facility upgrades so that they can be involved in SailGP’s local initiatives.
“We were committed to supporting these clubs and recognised that if we can find money to support SailGP, we can also find funds to help local sailing clubs.”
Details of tickets for the Bermuda Sail Grand Prix, presented by the Hamilton Princess, can be found here.