Bermuda hit with 40 more cases of coronavirus
Another 40 cases of Covid-19 were confirmed last night after the latest round of testing.
The Ministry of Health announced that the new cases were found among 1,197 new test results.
Nine of the new cases were imported, while 21 were the result of local transmission.
The source of the remaining ten cases is still under investigation.
Two of the reported cases were Bermuda residents who arrived on a flight from Miami on March 8 and tested positive on their Day 14 tests.
Another case was a non-resident who arrived on a flight from Atlanta that same day and also tested positive on their Day 14 test.
Other new cases included a non-resident who arrived on a March 14 flight from New York, three residents who arrived on a flight from Miami on March 14, and a resident and a non-resident who arrived on a flight from London on March 18.
The new cases brings the total number of active cases on the island to 150 - the highest number since early January - with all patients under public health monitoring and no one in hospital.
The new cases bring the total number of confirmed cases in Bermuda to 880 since March, 2020.
Government re-introduced various restrictions this weekend in an effort to curb the spread of the virus, and several schools reverted to remote learning after suspected exposure.
While David Burt, the Premier, earlier this month encouraged workers to return to their offices, Government has since urged those who can work from home to do so as the number of cases began to rise again.
The majority of the new cases reported over the weekend were the more contagious UK variant of the virus.
Kim Wilson, the Minister of Health, urged anyone who feels sick to remain home to help prevent the spread of the virus.
“Our confirmed positive Covid-19 cases are increasing, and people are still going to work with Covid-19 symptoms such as a runny nose, cough, sneezing, sore throat and other cold and flu-like symptoms,” Ms Wilson said.
"This is contributing to the spread. If you have any of these symptoms, do not go to work, speak to your doctor and get tested.
“I encourage people to get tested to know your status and be reassured that you’re not positive. This is a highly contagious variant, and we need everyone's co-operation to reduce the spread."
Ms Wilson said the Ministry of Health’s Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit will reach out to those who have been identified as having a risk of exposure and request that they quarantine.
She added: “You will be told when and how to quarantine and the testing protocol to follow. Please follow this guidance.
“It is unacceptable to break quarantine and possibly be out and about infecting others.”
Ms Wilson also urged the public to sign up for vaccinations.
She said: "Although priority will be given to those aged 65 and over, everyone can now register to be vaccinated.
“I urge everyone to register an interest to get vaccinated by going to gov.bm and clicking Covid-19 Vaccine Registration.
“And remember, when you go to get your vaccine, please wear a proper mask, not neck gaiters.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service