$4.1m paid out in unemployment benefits in six months
More than $4m has been paid out to thousands of workers in unemployment benefits since a fresh round of pandemic restrictions were imposed last December, the Premier revealed last night.
David Burt added the finance ministry was aware of delays in payments for the latest round of benefits but that officials were “working to resolve any outstanding issues as quickly as possible”.
Mr Burt said 1,500 people had been paid about $1 million this week.
But some payments had been delayed due to incomplete information on application forms.
Mr Burt said about 3,500 people had applied for the latest round of Government aid since April 13.
He added the number of applications approved was 3,000 and the special team set up to run the scheme were working on the rest.
Mr Burt said 1,300 people had received benefits totalling $2.2 million.
He added $1.6 million had been paid to bar and restaurant staff who had lost their incomes because of recent coronavirus outbreaks.
Another $500,000 was paid to people who were quarantined and unable to work from home.
Mr Burt said $130,000 had been paid to staff of businesses other than bars and restaurants which had been forced to close.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service