Raft-up organisers claim authorities were aware of event
The organisers of a controversial raft-up that involved US high fashion firm Revolve and guest influencers today claimed the Government and tourism authorities were aware of the event.
A statement from Victoria Greening, a lawyer, issued on behalf of Dasfete, said the raft-up was “not for recreational purposes, but rather a staged commercial event under the auspices, permission and knowledge of the Bermuda Tourism Authority and other relevant Government departments with the view to promoting and marketing Bermuda”.
Dasfete insisted: “All Covid-19 protocol requirements were met.
“We have now also met and co-operated with the authorities.”
The news came after a row erupted in the wake of video footage of the event, held last Tuesday, was posted on social media.
Raft-ups are banned under Covid-19 restrictions.
The boat trip was organised for Revolve, a US online fashion retailer that brought about 70 models and influencers to the island earlier this month as part of a marketing drive.
The Bermuda Tourism Authority said last week that it assisted with organisers’ administrative filings, including group exemption applications for photo-shoots and “on-site destination support for influencers’ social media activities”.
But the BTA insisted the applications did not include permission for a raft-up.
Renee Ming, the Ministry of National Security, said a police investigation into the event was under way.
David Burt, the Premier, tweeted on June 9 that images of what appeared to be an illegal event, which included a live performance by reggae star Shaggy, breached pandemic restrictions.