School delayed for some students as Saltus staff test positive for Covid
Saltus Middle and Senior schools will not welcome students back to campus this week after more than 40 staff had potential Covid-19 exposure.
However the school’s Cavendish and Upper Primary departments will open as scheduled.
In a notice sent out yesterday to parents Deryn Lavell, the head of school, said: “Last night we were informed by the Ministry of Health that because of the potential Covid-19 exposure at Saltus last week during staff training and orientation we now have 41 members of staff Health consider as close contacts.
“Two people confirmed with Covid-19 have been isolated and the identified close contacts are being tested and will quarantine for the next several days. They will not return to school until they are safely allowed to do so.”
Ms Lavell said the school has undergone a thorough cleaning over the weekend, but the number of staff in isolation meant they could not safely welcome students in the Middle and Senior schools “this week and next”.
“We remain excited to welcome our Primary students to Cavendish and Upper Primary,” the notice continued.
“Jeanne Bean and her team are well prepared and ready to see our students again with all Phase 2 Health safety protocols in place.
“New student orientation will continue to take place on campus tomorrow and Wednesday with all safety protocols in place.”
The heads of Saltus Senior and Middle Schools are expected to send out detailed information regarding their students today.
A previous letter from Ms Lavell told parents that there was a “possible exposure” at staff orientation and training, and that contact tracing was under way.
Students were to return this week, with temperature checks required for entry along with mask use and hand sanitising.
The island’s schools are in Phase 2 of health protocols as outlined last month by the Ministry of Education in preparation for the start of the 2020-21 academic year.