Oral antivirals now available for Covid-19 sufferers
Two antiviral medicines used against Covid-19 are now available in Bermuda, according to the Ministry of Health.
The oral drugs Paxlovid and Molnupiravir are available by prescription only.
Kim Wilson, the health minister, thanked the UK Government and Government House for “facilitating the availability of these antivirals”.
“Unfortunately, people are still dying from Covid in Bermuda, and we want to do all we can to help fight this virus.”
Ayoola Oyinloye, the chief medical officer, said: “Oral antivirals are pills that stop the virus that causes Covid-19 from making copies of itself in your body.
“They have been taken by millions of people and successfully treat mild-to-moderate Covid-19 in persons at high risk of becoming seriously ill, including hospital admission or death.”
Paxlovid and Molnupiravir are available for the following:
• For Paxlovid, adults and children of 12 years and above, weighing at least 88 pounds or 40kg, who are at high risk for getting very sick from Covid-19 and have mild to moderate symptoms.
• Molnupiravir: Adults 18 years and older who are at high risk for getting very sick from Covid-19 and do not have access to other Covid-19 outpatient treatment options or other treatment options that are not appropriate for them and who have mild to moderate symptoms.
Health officials advised anyone suspecting they have Covid-19 symptoms to take an at-home test or get tested.
Anyone who test positive should let their doctor know as soon as possible.
“Your doctor will check your eligibility for these oral antivirals and prescribe them if appropriate.
“Start using oral antivirals as soon as possible after you test positive for Covid-19, no later than five days after your first symptoms appear.
“These pills are taken at home two times a day for five days.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service