Acting Premier defends hotel jobs fair held amid rise in coronavirus cases
The acting Premier last night defended the holding of a hospitality jobs fair attended by more than 100 people despite a jump in Covid-19 cases.
Diallo Rabain, also the Education Minister, said the jobs event was a SafeKey event and individuals without the Government-issued pass had been turned away.
Mr Rabain added: “The event was well run. The event followed all the regulations and guidelines.”
Mr Rabain said the recruitment drive at the Hamilton Princess would have been allowed to proceed under its large group exemption, even if the new restrictions, scheduled to start on Thursday, had been in force.
He added: “You couldn’t get in the door without being checked and providing a valid SafeKey.
“As a matter of fact, when I was inside talking to some of the hoteliers, they noted there had been several people – I believe one hotelier quoted around 30 people – who had been turned away because they didn’t have a SafeKey.”
Mr Rabain said the fair gave jobless people a chance to apply direct for hotel jobs.
He added that it was up to the public to stick to health regulations.
Mr Rabain said: “All we can do is provide opportunities, and guidelines to prevent the spread.
“As long as people follow that, we will have reasonable success.”