Editorial was right
March 17, 2012
Your recent editorial on roadside trash has prompted me to write as I, like you, feel it’s becoming a massive issue. I live in Warwick, I walk regularly and am dismayed at the way people dispose of their stuff from televisions dumped in the Railway Trails to beer bottles thrown from vehicles which either end up in the bushes or smashed on the roadside. It also concerns me that when W&E do a roadside clean up the trash is exposed but never taken away! Would it not be possible for someone from the department or even a Hustle Truck crew to work with them and remove the trash?
One area which is a disgrace on a daily basis is opposite Hayward’s in Warwick, the characters that congregate there most evenings can’t even get up off their butts to use the two trash bins provided! The area in front of Warwick Post Office is often covered with remnants of stuff from the night before as is the nursery school in the same area. During the 70s and 80s when KBB was in its prime they had worked so hard at educating children about Keeping Bermuda Beautiful, but that message seems to have been lost on generations since. During those years I and my family and friends played our part in regular clean ups and trashathons but am sorry to say that these days I resent having to clean up after able bodied young men who spend hours sitting on a wall and louts who throw trash from the windows of their SUV’s. Maybe the MP’s for Warwick should try walking the roads and trails and observe what I’m talking about and then see what they can organise to make a difference.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service