Way too many deaths – things have to change
Things on the road do not improve and hard decisions are required. Some ideas below to get the conversation going.
• No bikes until age 18
• No towing until 21
• Replace Project Ride with a more realistic programme
• More stringent car driving test
• Increase the national speed limit to 50km/h. Enforce this speed limit. Introduce speed cameras
• Retain 35km/h speed limit in the City, schools and other high-risk areas. Enforce this. Increase fines in these areas to, say, $1,000
• More roundabouts at high-risk areas: Tee Street, Middle Road. Middle Road, North Shore at Flatts
• More speed bumps
• Continue with sobriety testing
• Introduce stiffer penalties/points system, including taking vehicles off the road
• Make overtaking illegal with certain exceptions
• Make third- lane riding for bikes illegal
• Introduce speed governors on vehicles
• Link outstanding parking tickets to vehicle licensing. No licence until paid.
This has been talked about for years and cannot be difficult. It will raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to finance some of the above.
Way too many deaths. Way too many idiots. Things have to change.