Stephanie Kyme and Charles Hall win Mixed Pairs title
Many congratulations to Stephanie Kyme and Charles Hall who took the 2023 Mixed Pairs title in the ten-pair field after a storming second session saw them leapfrog the four pairs ahead of them after the first session.
The first session saw some flat scoring and John Burville and Molly Taussig had a good 58.3 per cent game to lead from Rachael Gosling and Delton Outerbridge on 56.02 per cent and John and Sue Hodge on 53.24 per cent.
At this point Stephanie and Charles were in fifth a full 10 per cent behind the leaders. The second session, however, saw a complete reversal with the winners recording a stunning 71.53 per cent to finish a slim three match points ahead of John and Molly, with Rachael and Delton finishing third. Also recording a good second session were Peter Donnellan and Lynanne Bolton whose 59.72 per cent game took them into fourth.
Steph and Charles have won many times at the club championship level and just this week Charles celebrated reaching the milestone of Gold Life Master. Both are solid players and showed that with the second session score – a 70 per cent plus session score is uncommon in a club championship and usually results in a win – well done to the winners and the placing pairs!
Stephanie is, of course, the recently elected president of the Bermuda Bridge Club, so it seems she is coping well with the added responsibility!
This crazy hand was board 13 from the second session (see Figure 1):
I could not see the bidding on the website but the hand was played five times and two pairs got to seven spades, one to 6NT, one to six spades and one to five spades!
Rachael and Delton were one of the two pairs that got to seven spades and that got them 3.5 match points out of four. John and Molly got to 6NT for two out of four and Stephanie and Charles defended against the pair that bid six spades and that gave them three out of four — the vagaries of the game where many times your score is totally a result of how the opponents do.
What is fascinating, and frightening, about the hand is that neither seven spades or 7NT can make if North did not hold the lowly Jack of clubs – try it!
It is a tough slam to bid unless North decides to open a preemptive two spades (or three spades) and then it becomes easy for South – for me, I need a bit more than what North has to open a weak two or three vulnerable in first seat, but you can’t argue with success!
If I had the South hand and partner had opened a preempt I would settle for seven spades as partner may need to enter his hand with a ruff in order to draw trumps, holding a hand like Spades - QJ109862, hearts K54, diamonds Q6 and clubs 6. Interesting hand!
A couple of postscripts before I close – firstly the Bermuda Regional is back! It will be held at the Hamilton Princess from January 27 to February 2 – much more on this later — there are some exciting changes to the event.
Also, the sign-up sheets for the Men’s and Ladies’ Pairs on Saturday, June 10, are now up at the club. The Ladies’ event will, as always, be well subscribed but we need a good sign-up for the Men’s so that the event can be held – it is a title up for grabs guys, so sign up!
• David Ezekiel can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org
BRIDGE CLUB RESULTS
Friday, May 12
1. Tony Saunders-Margaret Way
2. William Pollett-Charles Hall
3. John Burville-Molly Taussig
Saturday May 13
Mixed Pairs Championship 2023
1. Charles Hall and Stephanie Kyme
Monday, May 15
1. Peter Donnellan-Lynanne Bolton
2. Tony Saunders-Molly Taussig
3. Sheena Rayner-Magda Farag
1. Gertrude Barker-Jane Smith
2. Margaret Way-Rachael Gosling
3. Diana downs-Gloria Rego
Tuesday, May 16
1. Tim Mardon-Richard Hall
2. Rosemary Smith-Marion Silver
3. Wenda Krupp-Barbara Elkin
1. Stuart Clare-Sarah Bowers
2. Robert Mulderig-James Mulderig
3. Jean Schilling-John Thorne
Wednesday ,May 17
1. Gertrude Barker-Jane Smith
2. Betsy Ballie-Sharon Shanahan
3. Sheena Rayner-Molly Taussig
Granaway Bridge Club Results
1. Tracy Nash - Des Nash
2. Wendy Gray - Richard Gray
3. Lisa Ferrari - John Glynn
1. Elizabeth McKee - Rachael Gosling
2. Stephanie Kyme - Diana Diel
3. Molly Taussig - Steve Cosham
Non-Bridge Club Online Results for Bridge Club Members
Thursday, May 11
Diana Diel and Judy Bussell -1st out of 100 pairs
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service