Bermudian drag racing team enjoys victory in Sacramento
Rough-N-Ready Racing captured their second win of the season competing at Funny Car Fever in Sacramento, California, at the weekend.
Fresh off victory in their previous outing at the Good Vibrations Motorsports March Meet in Bakersfield, the Bermudian-owned amateur drag racing team was keen to build on their early-season momentum heading into last weekend’s event, which was held at the Sacramento Raceway Park.
They managed that after winning the California Independent Funny Car Association title with driver Tony Trimp behind the wheel of their 1965 Mustang GT funny car.
“We qualified number 1 in CIFCA running a 5.905 and 7.02 in 7.0 pro,” team member Jacqueline Williams told The Royal Gazette.
“In the first round we were up against Rick Alvarado. Although he ran 5.94 he had red lit, which gave us the instant win with a 5.87.”
Harvey Williams Jr’s team advanced to the final in similar fashion as rival Jim Maher, the CIFCA president, was also disqualified for starting early.
Incredibly, lightening struck for the third straight time as the local team clinched the title after rival Kenny Breneisen also red lighted in the final.
“Usually we would meet Kenny in the first or second round, but it just so happened that we met in the finals this time around,” Williams added.
“As fate would have it, we would run a 5.905 to Kenny’s 6.202. But he ended up going red, which gave us the automatic win.”
Williams’s team also competed in the 70.0 Pro Class where they were eliminated in the second round.
“We had our hearts set out to take our second win in 7.0 Pro and ended up going out in the second round,” Williams said.
“At the end of the weekend we didn’t do too bad. We exceeded all of our expectations, although we had only made it to the second round of the 7.0 Pro.”
Multiple CIFCA champions Rough-N- Ready Racing presently hold a 210 point advantage over nearest rival Breneisen at the top of the points standings. Maher sits in third, a farther 194 points off the lead pace.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service