Burch ‘disgusted’ by spray-paint incident
A garbage collector was hurt after an unemptied spray paint can exploded over a three-man crew.
A Ministry of Public Works spokesman said that the aerosol can exploded when the bag it was in was put in the government trash truck's waste compactor and sprayed paint in the worker's eyes, which required hospital treatment.
The incident sparked fury from Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works.
He said: “I am angered and disgusted at this totally irresponsible behaviour.
“We have been pleading with the general public for months to show some consideration for our waste management collectors.
“They are some of the most dedicated individuals in this ministry and I take a personal affront at the abuse suffered by these workers.
“I urge the public to be far more vigilant in what they choose to place in their garbage.”
A spokesman for the ministry added: “The Ministry of Public Works reminds the public that for reasons of safety, all aerosol cans, which include paint cans, and other containers of potentially harmful contents must be completely empty before they can be disposed of with household waste.”
The incident happened on Tuesday at about 8.30am on Sylvan Dell Road in Paget.
The ministry spokesman added that pet waste should also not be thrown out with household trash.
He said: “Waste management officers continue to come across faeces disposed of with household waste.
“Pet waste must be flushed down the toilet or dried and wrapped in paper, placed in plastic bags, then dropped in the specified bin at the Tynes Bay waste to energy facility.”
• Information on “What Goes Where” is available on the Garbage and Recycling page of the Government's website. The Waste Management Section can be contacted by phone on 278-0560 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org