Governor and Premier visit new Regiment recruits – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Governor and Premier visit new Regiment recruits

First Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next Last
Governor Rena Lalgie talks to new RBR recruits on their first field exercise.
Governor Rena Lalgie with 2nd Lieutenant LeeAnn Tucker, platoon commander for the Recruit Camp.
RBR Commanding Officer Lieutenant Colonel Ben Beasley with Premier David Burt and Renee Ming, the Minister of National Security, as they tour Warwick Camp and meet the new recruits.
Attention: Ms Ming and Mr Burt speak to the soldiers on the parade ground at Warwick Camp.
In step: Lt Col Ben Beasley, Mr Burt and Ms Ming tour Warwick Camp

The Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Bermuda Regiment today paid a visit to new recruits on their first field exercise.

Governor Rena Lalgie visited about 50 new soldiers as they got to grips with life on manoeuvres at Hog Bay Park in Sandys.

Ms Lalgie, who visited Warwick Camp last week, toured the area, watched the troops practise patrol techniques and fieldcraft and spoke to the recruits.

She said: “The Royal Bermuda Regiment plays an incredibly important role in keeping Bermuda safe and also in representing Bermuda abroad.”

Ms Lalgie praised the RBR for its hurricane response abilities and its service over the Covid-19 pandemic – its longest deployment outside wartime.

She said: “It’s quite clear to me that the people of Bermuda have a very strong trust in knowing that the Regiment is here as we head into another hurricane season.

“The last year has really reminded us this is not just a Regiment preparing for hurricanes. It’s helping in disasters and providing skills they continue to deploy in all sorts of circumstances we might find ourselves in.”

Ms Lalgie added: “I hope they go on to achieve not just in the Regiment, but in their civilian lives as well.”

Ms Lalgie’s visit followed a tour of Warwick Camp last week by David Burt, the Premier, and Renee Ming, the Minister of National Security, as the rookie soldiers were in their first few days of training.

The two also saw some of the equipment and trucks used by soldiers to cope with everything from hurricanes to Covid-19.

Mr Burt told the soldiers: “I am thrilled that 48 persons have chosen to serve in a very important part of Bermuda’s fabric.

“I want all of you to be proud of what you’ve done, to learn, and to know that you will always have the support of the Bermuda Government through your journey and into the future.”

RBR Commanding Officer Lieutenant-Colonel Ben Beasley said the camp was the largest since conscription was abolished in 2018.

He added: “The quality of recruits continues to improve as we raise the standards of entry.”

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published February 23, 2021 at 5:39 pm (Updated February 23, 2021 at 9:39 pm)

Governor and Premier visit new Regiment recruits

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon