Shake off the festive excess
I don't know about you, but I've been enjoying the holiday season a little bit too much. I've been doing a lot of sitting around, indulging in good food and hardly moving at all. It's been fun catching up and celebrating with family and friends — I wouldn't want to spend Christmas any other way — but truth be told, I'm itching to get back into my fitness routine.
So what better way to shake off the excesses of Christmas than with this ten-minute total body fat burning beast of a workout! Come on, there are less than 24 hours of this year left and there's no time like the present.
Set your timer for ten intervals. If you haven't got an interval timer, I recommend Seconds, a free app you can download to your phone or tablet. You want 50 seconds for the working phase and ten seconds for the recovery. You're going to work solidly for ten minutes, performing each exercise for as many repetitions as you can in 50 seconds, before briefly recovering and moving onto the next exercise in the circuit. No slacking, just get it done! Remember, time is running out...
1. Jump Squats: Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, keeping your toes in line with your knees. Initiate the squat by pushing your butt back and bending at the knees. When you reach the bottom of the squat, jump upwards.
2. Push-Up Geckos: In a push-up position, bend at the elbows and lower the body towards the floor whilst bringing the knee in to touch the elbow. Alternate sides.
3. Backwards Lunge Swing Kick: Standing hip width apart, step one foot back into a lunge keeping the upper body tall and straight. From here, swing the same leg forward, making sure to keep the leg straight. Alternate legs.
4. Suicide Planks: Starting in a low plank position on your forearms, elevate your body up onto your hands into a high plank position. Reverse the move back down into a low plank. Repeat the move, alternating the arm which you lead with.
5. High Knee Run: Keep the back straight, the chest lifted and your tummy tight, run on the spot lifting the knees high towards the chest.
6. Triceps Push-Up: Starting in a high plank position, bend at the elbows and lower the body towards the floor. At the bottom, brace the core and push back up into a plank position. Ensure your elbows are close to and glide past the side of the body.
7. Mountain Climbers: In a high plank position on your hands, ‘run' your knees into your chest as fast as you can.
8. Shadow Box: Standing feet hip width apart, fists at shoulder height, brace your core and ‘shadow' box jab/cross as fast as you can. (Imagine that target out ahead!)
9. Burpees: Start by lying prone on the floor with your hands underneath your shoulders. Push up into a plank position, jump the feet forward and explode into an upwards jump.
10. Hold Plank: In a low plank position on the forearms, squeeze your core tight and tuck the pelvis under to create a straight back. Hold still for the full 50 seconds. Make sure you keep breathing!
Once that's complete, you'll feel great, if a little out of breath. All that remains for me to do is wish you a Happy New Year!
Becky Wright is a qualified personal trainer, nutritional therapist and international bikini fitness champion. She has worked with various clients worldwide, including royalty. Becky currently works at Alchemy Fitness: www.alchemy.bm. Contact her at email@example.com