Appreciation over contempt
April 13, 2013
I have always prided myself on buying Bermuda. In my lifetime I have bought only a rug, a pair of shoes and a bracelet online. Although I assure you I am no stranger to J Crew should I find myself in the States, it is insignificant as the vast majority of my shopping is done on our tiny little Island. And that is what we are, a very tiny, little Island. Our marketplace is so small which means that those working in retail on the Island, myself included, must work especially hard to provide a stellar shopping experience for their patrons. Luckily, there are number of fine retailers on the Island who ensure that we need not look further. They keep shops that are beautifully curated and their clients, who have become more like friends, are kept well informed.
I have never hesitated to promote retailers like this because I believe that good customer service does not begin and end at the doorstep of the shops I work for. We cannot expect in our tiny marketplace to be the only retailer our clients will shop with, and nor should we. Each of us has something different to bring to the table, a unique aesthetic that together provides the kind of collective experience that keeps locals shopping with us. Consequently, we should conduct ourselves with respect and appreciation for each other.
Yesterday, I was refused service by a fellow retailer because of my position within a ‘competitor’ retail entity. It was a store that I have frequented for years, encouraged tourists to visit, and appreciated for the facet that they added to our on-Island shopping experience. Sadly, the item I wished to buy will soon become my fourth online purchase. I would encourage everyone to consider how he or she views others within their industry. It does not need to be cut-throat. It is far more productive to pour energy into appreciation rather than contempt, and I believe you will find when you focus on offering something unique, it is easy to be the best.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service