Intelsat regains control of malfunctioning satellite
(Bloomberg) ? Intelsat Ltd., the second-largest global satellite operator, said it has regained control of a satellite that malfunctioned last week and that it may be operational for some customers soon.
Service restoration is under way for the Intelsat Americas-7 satellite, the Bermuda-based company said in a statement. A ?sudden and unexpected? electrical fault caused the loss of the satellite on Nov. 28.
Intelsat said on November 29 that the loss could derail its $5 billion takeover by Apax Partners Worldwide LLP and three other buyout firms.
Apax, Permira Advisers Ltd., Apollo Management LP and Madison Dearborn Partners Inc. had the right to walk away from the $5 billion takeover if the satellite wasn?t operational, Intelsat said earlier this week.
The buyout firms ?have been advised of the recovery operations and are continuing to evaluate the situation,? Intelsat spokeswoman Jodi Katz said today.
It?s too early to say whether they have made a decision on the takeover, she said.
The cause of the malfunction is still being investigated, the company said.
Apax spokeswoman Clare Sillars didn?t immediately return a phone call for comment.
