A summer fling
The Caledonian Society of Bermuda is bringing the Highland Games to the Island for the first time.
Featuring a variety of sporting and social events including the tossing of a long, heavy pole known as a caber, a tug o’ war, field races and highland dance competitions, the games will take place at Sandys 360 Community Centre field.
Marching Scottish pipers, the Bermuda Islands Pipe Band, the Bermuda Regiment and the Somerset Brigade Band will all take centre stage. There will also be a special appearance by the Atholl Highlanders.
“The society has worked long and hard to promote all things Scottish in Bermuda and the Highland Games is the ultimate Scottish event,” Scott Devine, the Caledonian Society of Bermuda president, said.
“We look forward to welcoming the entire Island to the Sandys 360 facility to sample traditional Scottish games, like tossing the caber, tug o’ war, musical displays and highland dancing competitions. The whole event will run alongside the visit to the Island of the Atholl Highlanders regiment who will be performing throughout the day along with the Bermuda Islands Pipe Band, the Bermuda Regiment Band, the Somerset Brigade Band and the Sandys Drumline.”
The Atholl Highlanders will visit Bermuda from June 7-10 and take part in the Queen’s Birthday Parade on June 9. The games come to Sandys 360 Community Centre field on June 8.
Admission is $5 for adults; children under the age of 12 enter free. Traditional Scottish food will be available at the food stalls.
To register for races and walks or to purchase a table in the corporate hospitality tent visit www.caledoniansocietyofbermuda.com or telephone Elizabeth Ward on 704-0631.
Useful websites: www.caledoniansocietyofbermuda.com; www.ecbermuda.com.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service