Log In

Reset Password

Perinchief meets Medical Clinic doctors

Doctors at the Medical Clinic have discussed its closure with Acting Minister of Health Philip Perinchief, who described the meeting as positive and productive.

Critics including staff and clients of the Government-funded clinic at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital have been vocal about it shutting, with a petition circulating and plans to march on Cabinet.

An English doctor, Catherine Wakely, was asked by the Bermuda Hospitals Board to resign from her job at the clinic earlier this year after she wrote a letter to this newspaper questioning the closure.

The facility — formerly known as the Indigent Care Clinic — provides free transport, prescriptions and medical supplies for elderly, homeless and mentally ill patients. They also have access to X-rays and MRI equipment. Its closure was announced in the Throne Speech last year, with Government saying it undermined patients’ dignity. Government has said that under the new plans, patients will have access to the same services in at least 13 private doctor’s offices.

According to a statement from Senator Perinchief, he met with General Practitioners at the clinic as part of consultation regarding the closure, and to provide them with information about the way forward. He described the meeting as “positive and extremely productive,” adding that he was encouraged by the turnout.

The Acting Minister presented the GPs with a plan prepared by the Bermuda Hospitals Board and Government technical officers for how the closure will be handled.

“They came to the meeting with questions, but once they heard the plan there appeared to be a better understanding and genuine interest in making it a success,” he said.

Sen. Perinchief added that further meetings will be held with stakeholders to share the blueprint with them. Details will be made public on Monday when Dr. Brown is scheduled to host a press conference on the topic.