Log In

Reset Password

Perinchief promises to consider clinic closure petition

Protesters say they have scored a small victory in their fight to keep the Medical Clinic open, despite the Premier’s insistence that the Government decision stands.

Scores marched on Cabinet yesterday to demand Government reconsider the closure, scheduled for the end of June.

The clinic — formerly the Indigent Clinic — treats up to 1,500 patients at the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital who cannot afford health insurance. However, Government says it is uneconomical to keep the facility open.

Announcing the closure on Monday, Premier Dr. Ewart Brown said it would create “considerable savings” and that up to 30 doctors would be willing to treat patients at a cost of $5 each visit.

Patients’ suitability for financial help, or ‘indigent status’, will be determined by the Department of Financial Assistance.

Protesters however, say the plan — outlined in November’s Throne Speech — is undemocratic. They say residents have not been consulted.

Yesterday about 60 people gathered with placards to denounce an end to the clinic for the poor.

A noisy demonstration surrounded the presentation of a 3,564-name petition to Acting Health Minister Philip Perinchief, who stepped out of the Cabinet building to accept the petition amid cries of ‘we want the Premier’.

Mr. Perinchief told protesters: “These signatures will certainly be considered and considered very closely. Democracy is at work.

“We will continue the consultation process and work towards reaching a decision here. We will keep the consultation process going.”

Protest organiser Jennifer Brooks, 24, said this marked a small victory following Dr. Brown’s comments on Monday that the petition was unlikely to change Government’s stance.

“Our cause is not lost,” she said. “We have to make sure he (Mr. Perinchief) keeps his promise that the consultation remains open.

“We have made the first step in this process. This is not the end, this is the beginning.

“We want the Premier to reconsider and to re-open the dialogue on the clinic.”

Diana Williams, a senior from Pembroke, said: “I’m a nurse and I feel that Dr. Brown has insulted the patients. We are not going to stand for this. This is a democracy. If he’s going to govern us in the future with no debate or consideration for the people, then he’s going to go down.”

Raymond Whitecross, 54, a legal assistant from Somerset, added: “The people’s rights have been violated. The people of Bermuda should stand up.

“We’re not going to take dictatorship here. There’s 96-year-olds being pushed from building to building and our Premier talks dictatorship to the people.”

Shadow Health Minister Louise Jackson said: “I am very saddened and actually sickened over the fact that the leader of a country would totally disregard the wish of over 3,000 people.

“The biggest thing here is if they are talking about the cost. However the Government can spend millions of dollars on cricket and football.

“This is the only civilised country in the world which does not have a clinic for the poor.

“Indeed it is far more undignified to have to go down to register for financial assistance and have to ask for welfare.”

Celeste Deshields, 58, of Somerset, receives treatment for AIDS at the Medical Clinic.

She said: “I’ve been a patient for 14 years. I have AIDS and without the clinic I don’t know what I would do. They have helped me so much. I can’t afford doctors visits and it would be very hard for me.”

The Medical Clinic and HIV Clinic received $2.52 million in Government funding last year, half of which is spent on providing free HIV treatment to patients.

A Government spokeswoman said such care would continue.

“Patients will be told all they need to know by the doctors and nurses at the clinic. All the information is there for them,” she said.

She added any future consultation with patients was a matter for the Premier.

“That’s a decision for the Premier or the ministry to make. Whether there will be any consultation or the opportunity to comment, I don’t know now, but we’re letting the patients know first what their options are. All the patients will be kept informed.”

One doctor last night described the Medical Clinic as a “monster” which had grown “out of control”.

Dr. George B. McPhee said in a letter to The Royal Gazette that he is “amazed” at the opposition to its closure. He said he was opposed to it when it was first created in the 1960s.

He said: “Now, years later, along comes the present Premier, Dr. Ewart Brown, who has the courage and the insight to do what should have been done many years ago.”

Dr. McPhee said he opposed the clinic as “coloured patients would be herded into one location and would receive inferior medical care”.

“What is wrong with integrating these ‘less fortunate people than ourselves’ into our private medical care system, which is enjoyed by the vast majority of the people? This would be a much better utilization of funds,” he said.

‘Our cause is not lost’