Log In

Reset Password

New bus schedule on hold

A new transport schedule which would see a bus every 15 minutes on several routes will not be unrolled as expected because bus drivers were not consulted.

Visitors and locals were stranded across the Island yesterday because buses were out of operation from 10 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. while the drivers attended two Bermuda Industrial Union meetings.

In the second meeting they decided that the new schedule would not roll out as expected this month.

On April 6 Premier Dr. Ewart Brown announced Government was doing everything it could to make public transport a better option. He said more buses would be put on the 7, 8, 10 and 11 routes within days.

And by May 14 it should be possible to get a bus every 15 minutes even at non-peak times on those routes, he said.

But yesterday BIU president Chris Furbert said the drivers had yet to look at a hefty document which outlined the new roster system — or agree to it.

Because they had not signed off on it the new schedule would not be in operation, as Dr. Brown announced.

He pointed out that the bus drivers were not necessarily disagreeing with the new schedule but wanted to examine the document before signing off on it.

He added that this was not the Premier’s fault. He said: “The Premier did not drop the ball on this. He had announced that it was coming before this point.

“Joint collaboration meetings should have taken place but for various reasons did not.

“I know that the perusal committee is now looking at the new roster document.”

Mr. Furbert also apologised for the inconvenience caused by the meetings.

A Government spokeswoman said: “In response to the decision of bus operators refusing to work the new and improved bus schedules that would have provided increased bus service until midnight, the Ministry of Tourism and Transport said it was extremely disappointed that it will not be able to deliver this new service as planned.”

Earlier in the day bus drivers joined hundreds of other Government workers to express their anger at the Government walking away from negotiations with the union over staffing issues at a new recycling plant.

That meeting ended at 2 p.m., but bus drivers remained behind and held their own meeting for another hour.

The buses were back in operation at 3.30 p.m.

New bus schedule put on hold