Club Med squatters still at site
Two weeks have passed since Club Med squatters were supposed to be evicted from the premises - and today they remain there with a new date to move yet to be announced.
Minister of Housing, Senator David Burch, announced on March 19 that people who were illegally living at old Club Med site would be moved out as Government was close to securing a developer for the property.
They were given 12 days notice and told they would be moving to staff quarters on the former Wyndham hotel site or the former Pembroke Rest Home because Club Med was too dangerous to live in.
However, two days before eviction day Government said the former Wyndham site did not meet fire code regulations and work would have to be done to the site first.
Since then Government has not revealed a new date for eviction.
When The Royal Gazette visited the Club Med residents in early April they too had heard little. One woman said people didn't know whether to pack boxes or not because nothing had been announced.
Thirty-one people from Club Med have signed up to the Bermuda Housing Corporation's emergency housing list and were expected to be assigned temporary accommodation at either the Wyndham site or Pembroke Rest Home. Some of the people on the list have young children.
When the residents eventually do move into their new residences they will be expected to pay rent, rumoured to be $700 a month for a room.
In early April it was announced that five-star luxury hotel operator Bazarian International had won the contract to carry out the development scheme at Club Med.
A Government spokeswoman confirmed yesterday that a new date had not been named but did not say why.
