Ezekiel expresses 'great concern' over car restrictions
International business has expressed "great concern" about Government's controversial plan to restrict car use for expatriates.
The Association of Bermuda International Companies (ABIC) said it had a meeting with Premier Ewart Brown on Friday and is keen to work with Government on alternatives.
Earlier this month the Premier announced plans to curb the number of single and childless foreigners owning cars and to limit the amount of cars available to expatriates in companies holding more than ten work permits.
In a statement released yesterday ABIC said it had held a productive meeting with Government to discuss the recent traffic proposals "some of which had caused great concern to its members and employees".
ABIC said it had agreed to work with Government and other businesses to thrash out creative solutions for traffic throughout the Island and particular Hamilton in the rush hour.
ABIC Chairman David Ezekiel said: "The transport reform proposals highlight the need for collective action from all sections of the community to help solve the problems of traffic congestion in the city.
"We will, along with other industry bodies, work with our members to find solutions, and will shortly be contacting our members with proposals as to how we move forward on this issue.
"Based on our meeting, we are confident that, by working in partnership with Government, we will identify solutions that will address this issue in a timely manner and avoid the creation of a long-term problem for the island."
ABIC represents more than 130 international companies incorporated in Bermuda.
Earlier this month Chamber of Commerce executive vice president Diane Gordon said new transport restrictions could send the wrong message to international businesses which was the life blood of Bermuda.
"We do not wish to divide our guest workers who live here nor do we wish to present the wrong message for those recruiting to our Island.
