Man fined for beating girlfriend
A 38-year-old man pleaded guilty yesterday[NOTE]Thursday, April 19[\NOTE] in Magistrates' Court to assaulting his ex-girlfriend causing her grievous bodily harm.
Crown counsel Carrington Mahoney told court Dane Stovell, was living with his ex-girlfriend on George's Bay Lane, Sandys. At 10 p.m. on March 11, she returned from spending the weekend with her mother.
When she told Stovell where she had been, he got upset and followed her into the kitchen where he tried to choke her.
She got free, ran into the bedroom and where he hit her, until she was bleeding from her head. On Monday, March 12 she was taken to the emergency department at the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.
Yesterday in court, Stovell disagreed with the events of the night and said: "I would like to apologise for being in front of you under this situation. When she came towards me I put my arms out to stop her.
"I defended myself. I was with that young lady for six years and I never tried to hurt her physically. I'm not even a violent person. She fell down on the bed and hit her head on the telephone."
Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo fined Stovell $2,000 with four months default.
