Log In

Reset Password

'The patients seemed afraid of asking questions'

Diana Williams and an unidentified man were thrown out of last night’s meeting on the Medical clinic closure.

Campaigners against the closure of the Medical Clinic were yesterday outraged at the lack of information provided at the first meeting for its patients.

A transition pamphlet was mailed last week and yesterday's meeting was the first for patients to discuss their future healthcare — even though the closure was announced in the Throne Speech in November.

And Diana Williams, who has been outspoken about the closing, said she attended the clinic meeting yesterday morning for answers about the doctors, but was thrown out.

Ms Williams said: "I went to the meeting and there was no new information. The patients seemed afraid of asking questions so we sat and listened to Dr. Stanley James who said the transfer was expected by June 30 when it closes."

However, Ms Williams said when she asked clinic physician Dr. James the names of the doctors patients will be able to see after the clinic closes, she was asked to leave.

"I asked if they could give them an idea of who the doctors are and he said he was not going to tell me and I said why not and he said we're not here to give that information," Ms. Williams added. "Then he asked me to leave."

Another patient, who remained at the meeting, said Dr. James said he was finalising the list of doctors and it would be published in a newspaper.

In his Throne Speech, Premier Ewart Brown said Medical Clinic patients, primarily indigents, were suffering from a lack of dignity.

Those opposed to the plan have rallied to keep the clinic open, gathering thousands of signatures and organising two protest marches.

And though yesterday's meeting was announced by the Ministry of Health and the transition pamphlet was mailed out by the Ministry, no Government officials were present.

Just over 40 patients met with Dr. James, in a meeting closed to the public, to discuss the transition.

Pamphlets and the meeting, however, were not advertised in the clinic and at least three patients told The Royal Gazette they found out about the meeting through the newspaper.

Howard Lee, a clinic patient, said: "I saw the small ad in the paper the other day for the meeting, but that was the only way I knew. "My main concerns are where do I stand with doctors and if I have to wait there for a long time just to get my blood pressure checked.

"And what happens if I get a bill sent to me and how am I going to get that bill covered?"

Another clinic patient, Walter Howes, said he was disgusted with the mismanagement by Government of the closure.

Mr. Howes said: "There has been no proper planning. They talk about a political revolution, but in all my days I have never seen anything so badly managed.

"They are doing a backwards by-in. If they want to shut a clinic they need to cross their T's and dot their I's before they do it.

"Dr. James explained HIP, but it should have come from the person who announced the closing."

Questions raised to Phillip Perinchief, Minister of Health, on Wednesday evening were not answered before the time of going to press.

Last night the Bermuda Hospitals Board said it would arrange a second meeting for clients later in June for those patients unable to meet with a clinic physician before their transfer.