Log In

Reset Password

Masterworks receives royal support for a further five years

'My involvement with Masterworks reflects the importance I attach to the preservation of cultural heritage through art - a cause that has relevance to communities across the world' - Prince Charles

A Bermudian foundation has received Royal support for another five years as they strive to expand the world of art in Bermuda.

The Masterworks Foundation, which offers educational opportunities to inspire and support Bermudian artists, received the support of The Prince of Wales for another five years.

Tom Butterfield, Director of Masterworks was able to meet with Claudia Holloway, the HRH Prince Charles’ secretary while on his recent 1,000 mile bike ride through Europe and said he believed patronage was not automatically extended beyond the first offer.

Mr. Butterfield said: “It is a statement of commitment to a shared vision.”

HRH Prince Charles first granted his patronage to Masterworks in 2003. Since then he has campaigned for the new museum and added significant pieces of artwork.

The Masterworks Museum is now in the process of completion for March 2008, however, the Foundation continues with all sorts of programmes so when they open, there will be a full complement of events in place

And on Friday, Masterworks opened The Atlantic School, an art show invitational spearheaded by Jon Legere of Volcanic Productions.

The Atlantic School consists of four Bermuda artists and four New York City artists, and the show travels to the Lower East Side of Manhattan in November with the same group.

And when HRH Prince Charles first granted his patronage he wrote: “My involvement with Masterworks reflects the importance I attach to the preservation of cultural heritage through art — a cause that has relevance to communities across the world.”

Show of support: Tom Butterfield holding a book which Prince Charles donated recently to Masterworks.