Bermuda Shorts, June 26, 2007
Men injured in late-night knife attack — decline to file complaint
Two young men needed hospital treatment after they were attacked by three men in a late-night attack in Paget Plaza.
One 19-year-old victim sustained a laceration to the left side of his head, while a 24-year-old victim suffered cuts to his left elbow and left hand. Police say the pair had arrived at Paget by car and were assaulted by three unknown men who later escaped. Both victims, from Pembroke, were treated at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital before being released.
The incident, which involved a bladed weapon, happened at 4.30 a.m. on Wednesday last week although Police only disclosed information yesterday. Officers say the victims declined to make a formal complaint.
Ten arrested on burglary charges
Police arrested one person over the weekend on suspicion of impaired driving and ten people relating to reported burglaries.
One burglary was reported in St. George’s, five in Pembroke, two in Warwick, one in Southampton and one in Sandys Parish.
There were also 23 reported damage-only road traffic collisions, eight reported road traffic collisions resulting in injury and nine motorcycles reported taken without their owner’s consent.
Mahogany panels stolen
Four sheets of three-quarter inch by 4in by 8in mahogany plywood, was stolen from a Cemetery Road, Pembroke premises. The complainant told Police, sometime between 2 p.m. on Friday and 4.30 p.m. on Saturday, a thief gained entry to the property and took the items. Inquiries are underway.
Cash, jewellery stolen in break-ins
A Harbour Road, Warwick residence was burgled with cash stolen.
Police spoke with the victim, who stated that sometime between 1.30 a.m. and 8.30 a.m. on Sunday, someone entered her home.
A gold ring, a quantity of cash and a gold chain with a medallion, were stolen from a Sound View Road, Sandys Parish residence.
Officers spoke with the complainant on Sunday night, who stated that sometime between 10.25 a.m. and 6 p.m., someone gained entry to his home while he was away.
Police are inquiring.
Man denies seven theft charges
A Sandys man denied seven separate incidents of theft including four that allegedly happened on the same day.
Eugene Floyd Anderson, 45, pleaded not guilty to all the charges at Magistrates’ Court yesterday, including one of stealing $700 from the Friends of Hospice and Agape House Charity on May 12.
Initially, Anderson, of Beacon Hill, seemed clueless as to why he was in court. And, the court heard he had additional charges to answer to, which included a host of alleged traffic offences. When Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner asked Anderson for his address, he said: “Ah, wait a minute, my lawyer has all of that written down.”
Anderson was remanded into custody until his trial date on August 1.
Women deny stolen grocery charges
Two women were released on bail after denying stealing and receiving groceries.
Donnaniaca Ashley Burchall, 20 of Spanish Point Road, Pembroke was charged with dishonestly falsifying a cash register at Southside Supermarket (White & Sons) by entering incorrect values and stealing assorted groceries valued at $115.08 belonging to White & Sons.
Crystal G. Showers, 18, of Mullet Bay Road, St. George’s was charged with dishonestly receiving the groceries.
The pair were bailed in the amount of $1,000 each with one surety. They will appear in Magistrates’ Court on August 20.
