Log In

Reset Password

DPP to withdraw charges against Burgess

The Department of Public Prosecutions will withdraw charges against Opposition MP Maxwell Burgess, who is accused of punching a man in a cricket club bathroom.

Burgess had previously pleaded not guilty to assaulting William Sinclair Smith at Bailey's Bay Cricket Club on July 20 last year and was to face trial at Magistrates' Court yesterday.

However, he did not show and the revelation came when Crown Counsel Robert Welling informed Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo that the Crown intended to offer no evidence in the case.

Mr. Welling refused to give details to The Royal Gazette concerning>the decision and said the Crown's reasons will be revealed at an August 29 hearing.

The United Bermuda Party stalwart, who is due to retire from politics at the next General Election, was represented by lawyer Saul Froomkin QC during his brief appearance before Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo on March 29.

Burgess had claimed in this newspaper days after the alleged incident that he hit Mr. Smith in self-defence.

He said: "What happened was he said to me that I was 'f**ked up'. I asked him what he meant by that and the next thing I knew he was firing a blow at me and I indeed fired one back. I acted in self defence, without question."

However, Mr. Smith alleged at the time that the MP launched an unprovoked attack, telling The Royal GazetI>: "He grabbed me and said 'I f**king well got you' and then he struck me from behind. I don't know why he did it."

Mr. Smith alleged he suffered swelling around his eye and had to go to hospital to get a cut "taped up".