Log In

Reset Password

Victim, 64, delighted with the outcome

Suffered migraines: Leslie Pryce.

A senior who was assaulted said that he was delighted that two of the three defendants were found guilty.

Leslie Pryce, 64, was assaulted on October 3, 2005 by siblings Lauren Grant, 44 and PernelI Grant, 43. Lauren Grant threw a concrete block at him but missed and Pernell Grant punched him in the mouth causing him to fall to the ground, hitting his head on his van.

As a result, Mr. Pryce started suffering terrible headaches. Initially doctors gave a him a clean bill of health after the incident but shortly after, Mr. Pryce said he began getting migraines that were so intense he sometimes couldn’t see anything.

While driving home one day in December 2005, he was pulled over by two officers — P.c. Mark Lewis and P.c. Shannon Trott — who thought he had been drinking because he was swerving all over the road.

The officers insisted on taking him back to the Hamilton Police Station for a breathalyser.

It was this act, he said, that saved his life because when the test came back negative for alcohol, the two officers insisted he go to hospital.

The officers rushed him to the emergency room at the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital where the doctors found a blood clot on his brain and scheduled him for an emergency operation.

“They saved my life, if I had made it home that day and gone to bed, I might not have woken up again,” he said.

Mr. Pryce was in hospital for eight days and also thanked Dr. King and Dr. Dores, whom he said performed the “life-saving operation”.

Speaking to The Royal Gazette, Mr. Pryce said he was happy about the outcome.

“I feel very delightful from day one. I know these people weren’t going to be victorious because they been lying from day one. At the end of the day, they go through all this aggressiveness and wind up losing the house.

“I associated with their mother for quite some time and I didn’t want to use their mother against them because of what they are claiming about finding their mother in a depressive state. I don’t know about any such thing whatsoever.”

Asked how he felt about the case being dragged out for almost two years, the St. George’s man said: “In the court system, if you don’t have to go there, don’t go there. It can be a long drawn out process. So many things taking place today.If you don’t have to get inside there, keep away from there. It was a long drawn out process but I prevailed.”

Mr. Pryce said he is considering suing for $25,000 damage that was caused to him. He said he spent a total of nine days in the hospital — two days in the Intensive Care Unit and seven days in the general ward.

He also thanked Assistant Commissioner of Police Carlton Adams, Crown counsel Nicole Smith and this newspaper for covering the trial from the beginning.