Bullet has paralysed shooting victim
A shooting victim has been left paralysed after a bullet severed his spine.
The 40-year-old suffered multiple other gunshot wounds, as did a 44-year-old man injured in the same attack early on Saturday.
The pair were riding a stolen motorcycle in the St. Monica's Road area of Pembroke when they were cut down in a hail of ten bullets.
Yesterday, detectives said the victims are not believed to be gang members, but are known to the police.
According to Detective Chief Inspector Nicholas Pedro, police received reports of gunfire in the area at 5.30am on Saturday.
The victims were found on Mission Lane.
“Both men were seriously injured, with the 40-year-old tragically suffering paralysis as a result of these gunshot wounds, as one of the bullets traversed and severed his spine in the neck region,” said DCI Pedro.
“It is not believed that either men are members of an identified gang.”
Asked what sparked the violence, he replied: “I think it's too early to speculate on a motive. Obviously the location where they were and the method in which they were shot would give indications that there is some degree of gang involvement. But what I can say at this point is that we do not believe that the victims themselves are members of a gang.”
He said there was nothing to suggest the shooting was a case of mistaken identity.
The pair were travelling on a stolen black Qingqi motorcycle with the registration number BS047. It was stolen from Butterfield and Vallis in Orange Valley Road, Devonshire, between August 8 and 9.
It is believed the perpetrators of the shooting were on foot.
DCI Pedro said: “We're appealing for anyone that has information on the movements of this bike and the victims prior to the shooting. The victims had spent a short time in a house in the St. Monica's area prior to being shot, we know that much at this stage.”
No arrests have been made, but investigators believe there were people in the area at the time. DCI Pedro appealed for anyone who can assist the investigation to contact the Police.
Meanwhile, forensic evidence is being processed, and results are expected soon.
Assistant Commissioner of Police David Mirfield urged people not to engage in retaliation.
“I would appeal to individuals who may feel that revenge is something that they may want to partake in to not do that,” he said. “Any reprisals of any nature will be treated extremely seriously.”
Mr Mirfield pledged to maintain an increased police presence in areas prone to gun violence.
Asked if he fears a repeat of the shootings that blighted last Christmas and whether police are engaged in talks for a ceasefire he replied: “I think phrases like ceasefire are not always that helpful. I appreciate that last year there was an increase in gun violence in December.
“Once again I re-emphasise the fact that we are reinforcing all our officers over the Christmas period. We'll ensure that all reserves are also actively engaged with policing initiatives, and ensure that during the Christmas period people are able to go about their normal Christmas shopping and holiday period without any increase in violence.”
Anyone with information about the latest incident should call the Serious Crime Unit on 299-8106 or the confidential Crimestoppers hotline on 800-8477.
