Log In

Reset Password

Edness hits out at thugs who attacked Police

Law and order Minister Quinton Edness last night condemned a vicious mob attack on two Police officers which left a woman constable unconscious.

And he called on anyone who knows any of the culprits to turn them in for the good of the community.

Mr. Edness said: "I'm absolutely outraged about this -- it's something the entire Country should be very concerned about.'' He was speaking just after the officers -- savagely beaten in a Court Street battle in the early hours of Saturday morning -- were released from hospital.

Pc.s John Clutterbuck and Stephanie Thompson were attacked by thugs, some armed with crash helmets and bottles, after being called to an incident around 3 a.m.

The pair arrived at the Rooster's Restaurant and discovered that the building had been vandalised.

But when they arrested a man in connection with the incident a mob of more than 50 people gathered and attacked them.

Pc. Clutterbuck received head injuries in the attack and Pc. Thompson was knocked out.

But they had already called for assistance and a back-up squad quickly arrived at the scene, dispersing the crowd.

Mr. Edness said: "These young officers went there and were doing their duty for this Country.

"These people who attacked them should not think what they did was funny, because it's not.

"Anybody who saw the ringleaders and saw that young lady being beaten unconscious and a young male officer assaulted should come forward and tell the Police without hesitation.

"In any community, to have something like this happen is not something to be taken lightly.'' Mr. Edness pointed out that the officers were trying to prevent damage to a business premises in the area.

He said: "To have a gang forming and attacking Police officers instead of helping them -- they ought to be absolutely ashamed of themselves. And it's the last thing we should tolerate in our community.'' And Mr. Edness warned: "No community is safe if you are going to allow our Police officers to be attacked like this.'' Both injured officers were taken to the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital by ambulance and detained overnight. They were allowed home on Saturday afternoon, although it is not yet known when they will return to duty.

A man has been detained in Police custody in connection with a vandalism incident on Court Street and is expected to appear in court today.

But the thugs who carried out the assault on the two officers are still at large and Police are appealing for witnesses.

Anyone with any information should contact Hamilton Police Station on 295-0011 or call the anonymous Crimestoppers hotline on 1-800-623-8477.

CRIME CRM