Log In

Reset Password

People sign up to stop equestrian development

The National Trust claims it has been swamped with signatures from people opposing the planned National Equestrian Centre development.

The organisation placed an advertisement in The Royal Gazette last Tuesday asking people who are against the development on Vesey Street to sign a form and fax it back to National Trust headquarters.

And more than 1,000 signed forms were sent in before the closing date on Friday afternoon.

Last month Environment and Planning Minister John Irving Pearman lifted zoning restrictions on the proposed extension site -- covering four acres of woodland and open space reserve -- so that a planning application could go ahead.

The decision left National Trust bosses fuming. They claimed that, while the Minister had spoken to Equestrian Centre bosses, he had failed to hear submissions from objectors.

It was also revealed that the president of the architectural company overseeing the potential, David Summers, has close links with the UBP and is the current chairman of the Warwick East branch of the party -- the parish that Mr. Pearman represents. National Trust Executive Director Amanda Outerbridge said: "We have been bowled over by the response.

"We have had more than 1,000 responses faxed through. We delivered them to the planning department on Friday afternoon along with our own letter of objection.

"People obviously feel very strongly. They are prepared to put their names down and fax the form back to us. They are not anonymous.

"What we are asking for is that there should be a public hearing so that people can have the opportunity to voice their views.

"We hope that the Minister will take some notice of these signatures. This is obviously a matter that needs careful consideration.'' But Planning Minister John Irving Pearman said any final decision on the centre was the responsibility of the Development Applications Board rather than himself.

"My role was simply an administrative one,'' he said.

"It would be inappropriate for me to comment on which group has however many signatures. We have laws that state that people can object to applications and make representations but that's a matter for the board.'' The minister also expressed his surprise at how the issue had become a controversial topic. "I am surprised and disappointed that this straightforward administrative tool, designed solely to facilitate a full and open debate on the merits of a planning application, has been met with such vigorous criticism,'' he said.

Mr. Pearman has also received the backing of Bermuda Equestrian Federation President Michael Cherry.

In a letter in today's Royal Gazette Mr. Cherry said: "The Equestrian federation is not an elitist group.

"We were quite prepared to state our case in the proper place before the Planning Board after due process of the legal system.'' EQUESTRIAN RAH PLANNING PLN