Log In

Reset Password

Jobs programme gets underway

jobs every year, is starting up now for 1995.Students are asked to register now at the Government Employment Office (GEO), a spokesman announced.

jobs every year, is starting up now for 1995.

Students are asked to register now at the Government Employment Office (GEO), a spokesman announced.

And employers are urged to help in placing the students.

At least 700 secondary, college and university students are expected to be looking for jobs this summer.

GEO manager Ms Gilda Furbert commended employers who have already come forward to assist.

"We want to be in the position of offering a job to every student who registers with us,'' she said. "Some students depend on summer earnings to help finance their education.'' Government has already committed about 150 positions for students and she hoped the private sector would match that number.

The GEO is located near the Department of Youth and Sport on Court Street in Hamilton.

SCHOOL BURGLED CRM School burgled Thieves broke into Elliott Primary School and stole items for an annual fair duirng the weekend.

Police yesterday said they were investigating the incident in which toys and raffle gifts stored in one of classrooms were stolen after being put there following the cancellation of the fair.

"Thieves apparently entered the school over the weekend and removed the goods which consisted of a large 21-inch stuffed tiger, soccer balls, candies, balloons and other prizes,'' Police spokesman P.c. Gary Venning said.

Police inquiries were continuing.

Tools and equipment were also stolen from a construction site off Laffan Street over the weekend.

A toolbox was believed to have been forced open and a spirit level, paint rollers, and other equipment were removed.

TRIAL DELAYED MUR Trial delayed Lawyers in the trial of Winston Wellington Burgess spent yesterday immersed in legal arguments. Burgess, 31, of Turkey Hill St. George's is charged with killing 22-year-old Wilfred (Oopie) Ming and intentionally causing him grievous bodily harm on the night of September 10, 1994. Ming died outside the Canterbury Bar and Grill on Water Street in St. George's.

He is represented by Mr. Delroy Duncan and Mr. Juan Wolffe. The Crown is represented by Attorney General Mr. Elliott Mottley QC and Senior Crown Counsel Mr. Brian Calhoun.

The trial continues today before Puisne Judge the Hon. Mrs. Justice Wade.

FALSE ALARM POL False alarm Police rushed to Cambridge Beaches earlier this week following a report that an explosive device had washed up on shore.

However, when they examined the three-foot, orange cylindrical device they found it was a US Coast Guard Radio Direction Finder and was considered harmless.

Police disposed of the object and warned the public not to handle such objects that wash up on shore.

They said instead Police should be notified immediately.

MAN MISSING POL Man missing Police and the family of American visitor Mr. Steven Ferging yesterday appealed for anyone with information about his whereabouts to come forward.

Ferging's family have not heard from him since March 19, Police spokesman P.c.

Gary Venning said.

"He should have returned to the (United) States, but he has not,'' P.c.

Venning said.

Ferging, who is believed to be in his twenties, was last seen locally on Sunday at Skytop guesthouse in Paget.

He was described as a white male, five feet-11 inches tall, about 145 pounds, with short brown hair.

Anyone with information should contact Police at 295-0011.

DOGS BANNED ALS Dogs banned The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Parks yesterday reminded all dog owners that dogs will not be permitted on public beaches until November 1.

The restriction came into effect last Saturday.

Dogs are permitted on the dunes and in parks but must be on a leash.