Log In

Reset Password

Take my son's death seriously

The mother of a man found dead in the water off North Shore last month has slammed Police for not solving the mystery.

The body of Delton Burchall was dragged from the sea on the evening of Saturday, October 18. He had a gash to his forehead.

But Police are still refusing to say whether they are treating the death as murder.

Yesterday Mr. Burchall's distraught mother, Linda Lottimore, claimed Police were not doing enough to crack the riddle.

Speaking from her home in Deep Dale, Pembroke, Ms Lottimore, 43, said: "I am just really frustrated right now because I'm getting no satisfaction from the Police.

"I am convinced my son was murdered but the Police keep telling me they don't have any evidence.

"When my son left here he was a healthy boy and half an hour later they were pulling his body from the water. I've been told that part of his body, from the waist down, was trapped under a rock, which seems very suspicious. How can a healthy boy who's a good swimmer die so quickly? "But the Police refuse to give me his belongings. They've got his motorbike and clothing. When I asked for them back they said at first that they would give them back to me after they had taken some photographs but then they said they needed them for evidence.'' Ms Lottimore added: "They said that they haven't closed the case yet but when I asked them if they were going to clear it up they just say there's nothing they can do.

"I'm under a great deal of stress at the moment. As a mother you have a gut feeling. When I look at a picture of my son I look into his eyes and I know he's trying to tell me something. It's as if he's saying that it's up to me to find out how he died.

"I have tried to put it behind me and believe that my son died in an accident. That would make things easier. But I then think that that wouldn't be doing justice to Delton. I get a few hours sleep and then, from the moment I wake up I'm thinking about him. He's on my mind all the time.

"The Police seem to be saying that he's gone, he's dead and buried now, but I can't forget about how he died. I have to find out. The Police don't seem to be trying hard enough - they should be looking more seriously.'' Ms Lottimore said she had heard "many things'' on the street.

"People keep coming over to me and telling me things about Delton. But the Police just don't seem to be interested.

"For a while after Delton was found the Police were here every day but now I can never seem to get hold of them. I last spoke to them last week.

"There are far too many unsolved murders on this Island and the Police don't seem to be working together.'' She continued: "I've been told that I might have to wait until an inquest before I will find out what happened to my son. There's an inquest going on right now into someone who died three years ago. I can't wait that long to find out what happened to him.'' But a Police spokesman defended the way the investigation was being handled and asked Ms Lottimore to contact Police if she had any questions.

"This is a major investigation which is still very much active,'' the spokesman said.

"A month is not an inordinate amount of time for an investigation like this.

We have to collect statements and make sure we are following up every lead and interviewing everybody who we need to speak to.''