AWAC drops Transatlantic bid
Allied World Assurance Company Holdings and Transatlantic Holdings, Inc. have terminated their merger agreement.
The announcement comes after two rival bids, one by Bermuda-based reinsurer Validus and the other by investing legend Warren Buffett's Bershire Hathaway, were launched.
Under the terms of the termination agreement, Allied World, which has substantial Bermuda operations, said it will receive a termination fee of $35 million plus $13.3 million of merger-related expenses. Transatlantic will also be obligated to pay Allied World an additional $66.7 million if within 12 months of the termination Transatlantic enters into an agreement providing for a competing transaction, or recommends or submits a competing transaction to its shareholders for adoption, or a transaction in respect of a competing transaction is consummated.
The special meeting of Allied World shareholders, which was scheduled to be held on September 20, 2011, has been cancelled.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service