Valentine’s Day balloon knocks lights out
For many couples, spending the evening of Valentine’s Day with a loved one lit by candlelight was a romantic choice.
But for some Pembroke couples this year, the candles were less the result of Cupid’s magic and more the result of a power outage - sparked by a Valentine’s Day balloon.
Belco spokeswoman Susan McGrath-Smith said there was a power outage which affected 127 customers in Pembroke at around 8.40pm on Tuesday.
“It was caused by a metallic Mylar Valentine’s balloon coming into contact with a main line circuit out of our St John’s substation,” the spokeswoman said. “Crews were dispatched immediately to assess damage and commence restoration. Power was restored at 11.16pm.
“Belco urges the public to ensure that metallic mylar balloons are not released into the environment, as they pose hazards to wildlife and can lead to power outages.”
The offending balloon was recovered by Belco staff and, in the spirit of the holiday, given to Mrs McGrath-Smith, albeit in less than perfect condition.
“It was blown apart and melted together a little,” she said. “Otherwise, it just did its damage with a bang, then the system shut down, as it should, and the balloon survived.”