City buildings on historical shortlist
Eight buildings in the City of Hamilton could be added to the list of architecturally or historically significant buildings in Bermuda.
The eight buildings up for consideration are Sessions House, Cabinet Office, Magistrates' Court, the Old Town Hall, City Hall, Perot's Post Office, Par-La-Ville, and the Victoria Bandstand.
The Historic Buildings Advisory Committee evaluated each building on twelve criteria, including historic association, architectural importance, rarity, and period integrity before recommending them for listing.
Age is just one of the considerations in evaluating a building's significance. Both the Old Town Hall and City Hall are being considered, City Hall was built more than 150 years after the Old Town Hall. The Old Town Hall is the oldest surviving building in the City, built in 1784, while City Hall was completed in 1960.
No building in the City of Hamilton has been listed since the Anglican Cathedral was added in 1983.
Adding a building to the list declares that it has ‘special architectural or historical interest.' Planning permission is required to demolish or make any exterior appearance changes to structures on the list.
“These buildings are of historic and cultural importance and are symbols of Bermuda and its government and economic centre — Hamilton,” said Minister of Environment and Planning Sylvan Richards. “It is important to protect these buildings from development which could ultimately jeopardise the character and integrity of that culturally important building.”
Minister Richards is asking for input from the public on adding these buildings to the list. Comments can be submitted via e-mail to the Department of Planning's Heritage Officer Richard Lowry at firstname.lastname@example.org.