$5.5 million spent so far on clean-up
Government has spent $5.5 million to date to clean up Morgan's Point, according to Works Minister Patricia Gordon-Pamplin, who told MPs that the job was expected to be done by March 31, 2016.
The total authorised figure for remediation is $38 million.
There were a total of 30 contractors at work on the site, which was occupied by the US Navy until 1995 and left contaminated with hazardous waste.
In allocating jobs, Ms Gordon-Pamplin said the Office of Project Management and Procurement “aimed to maximise the Bermudian contribution and financial stake by employing a large number of local firms”.
She added: “While some of the larger contractors identified herein had some foreign consultants, the majority of workers on this site are Bermudians or spouses of Bermudians.”
Ongoing negotiations with the owners of Morgan's Point are “nearing completion”, the Minister added, telling MPs she expected the Morgan's Point Amendment Act to come to the House for debate during the current session.
Clean-up work to date has included asbestos abatement, underground tank and fuel pipeline closure, fuel plume remediation, Bassett's Cave remediation, landfill capping and shoreline stabilisation.
More than 25 underground fuel tanks have been removed, as well as soil contaminated with fuel, and the first stage of the three-phase asbestos abatement has finished.
“Remedial plans” are being drawn up to deal with Bassett's Cave and plumes of underground fuel.
Ms Gordon-Pamplin listed the Morgan's Point Project Team as project manager Vanessa Turner of Entech Limited; site manager Stephen Gilbert of Public Works; Bermuda Project Managers Limited; Bermuda Water Consultants, and US firms Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, and Carter Technologies.