Timeline that led to resignation
Pre-December 2012: One Bermuda Alliance leader Craig Cannonier meets developer Nathan Landow and six other entrepreneurs in the US through an OBA political consultant and a Maryland-based lobbyist. The businessmen agree to donate $300,000 to the party ahead of the December 2012 general election.
March 2013: Mr Cannonier, along with Tourism Minister Shawn Crockwell and Attorney General Mark Pettingill fly to Washington aboard Mr Landow's private jet for a meeting with the tycoon. Mr Cannonier later says that Mr Landow approached Government “to have a dialogue concerning economic development in Bermuda” with an emphasis on gaming and tourism.
May 2013: Opposition MPs accuse the Premier of breaching the Ministerial Code of Conduct by “accepting favours” — a free ride on Mr landow's private jet — and dub the scandal Jetgate.
Later that month, Mr Cannonier explains that “at no time were any bids made or formal negotiations discussed for any property. No legally binding contracts, guarantees or promises were made for any property or any other business in Bermuda.” The Premier also claims that “this was our first contact with this group. They had not been identified as a possible partner for Bermuda and had never met or liaised with the Economic Development Committee.”
January 2014: Government advertises a Request For Proposal for the former Club Med property — a development that Mr Landow had expressed an interest in during his meetings with the Bermuda Government.
February 2014: It is revealed that Steven DeCosta, an employer of the Premier, was also on-board Mr Landow's private jet and sat in on part of the Washington meeting.
March 2014: The RFP for Club Med closes. Although Mr Landow submits a bid, it arrives after deadline and is rejected.
May 7, 2014: The Think Media news website reports that Mr Landow and a group of business associates donated $300,000 to the OBA in 2012. The article also quotes anonymous sources claiming that Mr Cannonier asked Mr Landow for a further $2 million to pass casino legislation through Parliament.
May 13, 2014: The Premier refutes claims that he requested $2 million from Mr Landow and also insists that “there was never any quid pro quo agreement with Mr Landow” in return for the $300,000 donation.
May 14, 2014: OBA chairman launches in investigation after confirming that the party never received a $300,000 donation from Mr Landow or his business associates.
May 16: Nathan Landow confirms to the Bermuda Sun that the $300,000 was made to the Bermuda Political Action Group, thought to be an arm of the OBA. Mr Landow also confirms that no deal was struck with the Premier and that Mr Cannonier never made a request for an additional $2 million.
May 17 and 18: OBA members meet at party headquarters for two consecutive days to discuss the matter. Members were tight-lipped about what was said, but Mr Cannonier described the meetings as “very fruitful.”
Yesterday: Mr Cannonier attends Government House and tenders his resignation as Premier. Deputy Premier Michael Dunkley becomes interim Acting Premier. Mr Cannonier maintains that he did nothing wrong, but admits that there had been a “failure of transparency”.