WWE stars promote Island in hit fishing show
A fishing show filmed in Bermuda and starring three of the world's biggest sports entertainment stars will be screened this week.
‘Shawn Michaels's MacMillan River Adventure: Rods, Reels and Rugby' is being shown on the Outdoor Channel.
The former World Wrestling Entertainment champion was joined on the Island by wrestling superstar turned commentator John “JBL” Layfield, a resident of the Island, and his co-host on ‘WWE Raw', Michael Cole.
The programme was filmed last summer during the Blue Marlin World Cup and follows the trio as they join Bermudian fishermen Allan and Delvin Bean aboard their 54ft catamaran ‘Paradise One'.
Mr Layfield told ‘The Royal Gazette': “It's a big deal for Bermuda. Shawn is a huge star and this is great publicity.
“I had been after Shawn and his partner in ‘MRA', Keith Mark, for some time to come to Bermuda to highlight the world-class fishing. They were eager to come but had to find the time.
“They both agreed but also wanted to highlight the Beyond Rugby Bermuda programme here that we all work with — it was really cool of them to do that.
“The Bermuda Tourism Authority was awesome and made it all possible. Bill Hanbury and Adam Barboza helped to sort out any issues we had.
“We fished in the Bermuda Billfish Blast and the Marlin World Cup on July 4.
“We had a blast filming all of this — they even joined us at the Mid Ocean July 4 barbecue. They are planning a return trip they had so much fun.
“MRA is on three times on Saturday. I hear it is really cool and does a lot for the Island and our rugby programme.”
Mr Layfield helped to launch the Beyond Rugby programme four years ago, which works with “at risk” youngsters. The project focuses on helping the students graduate through homework classes as well as giving them the stability, discipline and fun associated with team sports.
In June the project collected a Fair Play Award from the North America Caribbean Rugby Association, which is presented to the organisation, team or individual that best demonstrates rugby's culture of sportsmanship and fair play through actions on or off the field.
Michaels is a former WWE world champion, heavyweight champion and was inducted into the exclusive WWE Hall of Fame.
His ‘MRA' show quickly became one of the most popular on the Outdoor Channel when it began in 2011.
Mr Layfield and Mr Cole are watched by millions of wrestling fans as commentators for ‘WWE Raw' and ‘Smackdown'.
• ‘Shawn Michaels's MacMillan River Adventure: Rods, Reels and Rugby' will screen on the outdoor channel on Saturday at 7am, 10.30am and 8.30pm, all Bermuda time.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service