Beenie Man to give ‘nothing but the best’
“King of Dancehall” Beenie Man is promising “nothing but the best” when he helps to get the Cup Match party started tonight.
The Grammy-winning Jamaican reggae artist is headlining the second instalment of the Cup Match Summer Splash at Par-la-Ville car park, accompanied by the Zagga Zow band.
“I love Bermuda,” he told The Royal Gazette. “It’s not my first or second time here — I love Bermuda from long time.
“The first time I came here it was all love you know, all the bikes and the vibes is like Jamaica in some kind of way. Bermuda is always so nice to me. The people can expect nothing but the best at tomorrow night’s concert, that’s all we came here with. We try to play the best to our ability, so tomorrow night turn out and you will see just that.”
Promoters Veterans in Action and 441 Productions said of performer: “Beenie Man is known for bringing energetic, long performances and patrons can expect him to start the holiday off in the right way.”
The show, which begins at 7pm, will also feature reggae legend Sanchez, who has returned to the island to perform after two decades. The I’m Missing You singer is popular among Bermudians and known for his reggae covers.
Two of the world’s most in demand DJs will also take the stage. Walshy Fire and Skratch Bastid were both part of Cup Match Summer Splash 2015 and are no strangers to Bermuda.
Local DJs for the night will be Rusty G and Blackstar, while Bermuda singer Olivia Hamilton will perform. The host for the night is Jabba from Hot 97 in New York City.
Here’s what’s on over the Cup Match holiday:
• Cup Match Summer Splash: Cup Match Eve concert hosted by Jabba from Hot 97 in New York, headlined by Sanchez, Beenie Man with the Zagga Zow band. Tonight from 7pm to 2am at Par-la-Ville car park
• Cup Match Night of House and Techno: tonight from 8pm to 1am at Muse Skybar, Hamilton
• Throw Back Ladies Night: tonight from 10pm at Snorkel Park Beach Night Club
• 2016 Cup Match Classic Day One: Tomorrow from 10am to 6pm at Somerset Cricket Club
• Tiki Beach Party: tomorrow from 6.30pm to 9.30pm at Snorkel Park Beach
• 2016 Cup Match Classic Day Two: Friday from 10am to 6pm at Somerset Cricket Club
• Kiss Me I’m Uber — Cup Match Trip to the Game: Friday from 11am to 6pm, departing from #1 Dock, Front Street
• Reggae Bonfires: Friday from 6pm to 9pm at Tobacco Bay Beach
• Soca vs Reggae 10 — Champion of Champions: Friday from 9pm to 3am at The Lawn, Dockyard
• A Leo Affair — Old School: Saturday from 4pm to 2am, Woody’s Bar and Restaurant, Somerset
• Party People Bacchanal Run: an alternative jouvert concept on Saturday from 7.30pm to 1am, at Bernard’s Park
• 44th Annual Non-Mariners Race 2016: Sunday from noon at Mangrove Bay in Somerset.