Log In

Reset Password

‘Victim fell trying to escape’

A lone gunman opened fire on his victim after the man had tripped and fell while trying to escape, a court has heard.

Shantoine Prinston Burrows is accused of murdering Rickai Swan outside Southampton Rangers Sports Club on the evening of October 23 last year, as well as shooting and injuring Damiko Gibbons.

Prosecutors told a jury in Supreme Court yesterday that Mr Burrows had entered the club from the back before firing at Mr Swan and Mr Gibbons as they socialised on the porch. “Rickai Swan and Damiko Gibbons started running,” prosecutor Nicole Smith said. “Mr Gibbons got shot near the shoulder, Mr Swan tripped and fell.

“Subsequently the defendant Burrows came upon him and fired into him multiple gunshot wounds. Mr Swan succumbed to his injuries.”

Jurors were told that in the lead-up to the fatal shooting, Mr Burrows and his friends had been in the White Hill area getting ready to go out.

Ms Smith said the group was planning to head out on their motorbikes and that Mr Burrows was wearing dark clothing.

“Burrows also stated that he could not carry a passenger because if the police stopped him he will shoot and the passenger would get in the way,” Ms Smith added.

“Burrows and his friends proceeded out of the White Hill area some time after 9pm.

“When they got to St Anne’s Road, Burrows stated that he was going to handle his business. He drove in an easterly direction and proceeded by himself on South Shore Road.”

Prosecutors allege that after the shooting Mr Burrows abandoned his bike close to Windreach before sending his friends a voice note on WhatsApp asking someone to pick him up.

Ms Smith told the jury that the bike was later found by police and “forensically linked” to Mr Burrows.

“Having received the voice note, his friends started messaging themselves saying ‘he really did it’,” she said. “The Crown says it was Taj Browne who went to collect Burrows, knowing that Burrows had committed the offences at Southampton Rangers.

“When Browne returned to the group, we say that he recounted the events of that evening at Southampton Rangers to them, which he had learnt from Burrows.

“Subsequently Burrows met up with the group and he repeated and told them what had transpired at Rangers.”

Yesterday afternoon, jurors were shown CCTV footage taken from around Southampton Rangers on the night of the shooting.

The footage showed an individual in a crash helmet walking along the back of the club a few seconds after 10.38pm. Just under a minute later, what appears to be the same person, is seen running back away from the club in a northerly direction.

The CCTV cameras also captured patrons running away from the club at about the same time.

Mr Burrows, 24, represented by lawyer Marc Daniels, denies murdering Mr Swan, using a firearm to commit that murder, wounding Mr Gibbons with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm and using a firearm to commit that offence.

Mr Browne, 22, represented by lawyer Charles Richardson, denies being an accessory after the fact to murder.

The trial continues.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.